Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Harbour


“A ship is safe in harbour, but that’s not what ships are for.” William Shed

For the record, I do agree with this quote. There is a song that we sing too that speaks to this as well. “A ship that’s in the harbour is still and safe from harm, But it was not built to be there, It was made for wind and storm.”

Again, I agree. The other side of this though is that every ship needs a harbour.

There is a tension, a balance to be maintained. I am not a nautical expert but it seems to me that while a boat left in harbour may seem to be missing its purpose, a boat left at sea too long may become a danger to itself and perhaps to others.

We all need a harbour… a place of refuge and safety. Somewhere to replenish and repair…to restock & re-evaluate…

For different vessels there are different seasons to leave the harbour, depending on their purpose or what they are equipped to do.

So, yes… there is a time to leave the harbour but there is also a time to stay.

Have you been “at sea” a long time…perhaps so long that you are in danger of being adrift with no way to manage your way through the wind and waves?

Maybe it is time to head home for a bit…to rest…to refocus.

It is not defeat. It is not failure or giving up.

The Psalmist penned these words:
Find rest, oh my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honour depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, oh people, pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” (Ps. 62:5-8)

God will meet you in the storm and be your refuge there. Absolutely! There are however seasons when a trip to the harbour is in order…to a place where you can find rest for your soul…refuge…safety.

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment