Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Church

This past Sunday, my family and I went to a joint church service with 80+ churches. We gathered in the new football stadium and joined together to celebrate One Lord, One Church and One Harvest. It was amazing to sit with approximately 15,000 people and be The Church together.

The service began with a parade of nations. Individuals in traditional dress from all over the world, each walking down the centre of the field holding their flag from the many countries represented. I was reminded of the size of our world and we Canadians represent only a small portion of it. By the time the final ones were walking across the field I had a lump in my throat and goose bumps on my arms. There is something unique and unifying seeing people from around the world coming together because of Our Lord.

As I watched the flags move across the field I was reminded of this verse from Revelation 7:9-10 which says, “After this I looked, and there was a vast multitude from every nation, tribe, people, and language, which no one could number, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were robed in white with palm branches in their hands. And they cried out in a loud voice: Salvation belongs to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb!” (HCSB)

I don’t know what your background or your country of origin is, but there will come a day when ALL believers will stand before the throne of God with one focus – worshipping the One and Only King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The great I AM.

In the final minutes of the service there was a fly-by of jets flying in formation over the stadium and over the city. I don’t know about you, but I love to watch air shows and see the power of those jets exerted as they pass by so quickly. Sunday was no different for me. It was a thrill to hear the engines roar by, to see the precise flying ability of the pilots and to feel the stadium pause for a moment to watch them go. Then I was reminded of a verse Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 15:51-53. It says, But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed! It will happen in a moment, in the blink of an eye, when the last trumpet is blown. For when the trumpet sounds, those who have died will be raised to live forever. And we who are living will also be transformed. For our dying bodies must be transformed into bodies that will never die; our mortal bodies must be transformed into immortal bodies.” (NLT) [bold mine]

Here I was sitting in a large stadium with approximately 15,000 other people joined together to worship Jesus, and I was reminded of that final day when, “in the blink of an eye”, there will be “a vast multitude from every nation, tribe, people, and language, which no one could number, standing before the throne and before the Lamb.”  Wow!

I love the local church (however big or small it is) where week in and week out we get to rub shoulders with each other on Sundays, but I love the opportunities which come along where the larger body of saints come together. And true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth” John 4:23 (NIV)

In a large crowd it can be easy to sit back and observe, but with a little self-discipline and personal intent each of us can engage in the service and worship together. This past Sunday was one of those days for me where I was reminded I am part of a much bigger picture and those I worship with from week to week are part of a much bigger body of believers from around the world.

Come Lord Jesus, Come!

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment