Tuesday, February 4, 2014

WHO IS YOUR BFF?

Wikipedia defines “BFF” as:
“The term ‘Best Friends Forever’, often abbreviated to BFF, is a close relationship typical of teenagers and young people. Such relationships are common in high school but, rather than lasting forever, tend to deteriorate when the parties involved attend college.”

Well, that’s disappointing … BFF is a term for young people, which I am not, and forever does not mean FOREVER?!?

In my opinion, if BFF were taken literally, it would be the most awesome thing EVER!

I am sure everyone has their own interpretation of BFF, but as far as friendships go, I would like to share a few of my expectations for a BFF. We would:
  • Get together for no reason and enjoy each other’s company.
  • Accept each other unconditionally, bad hair day and all.
  • Listen to each other patiently, and not be pushy or rude, wanting our own way.
  • Always be available for each other in a crisis, via texting, cell phone or coming over in person to comfort each other.
  • Think there is cause for alarm when we didn’t hear from each other daily.
  • Help each other become better people by learning new things and want what is best for one another.
“Impossible, ridiculous, out of this world, no way, are you crazy?!? It’s a wonder you even have friends, never mind a BFF!”

Read on, I will explain.

My musings about a BFF started one day when I needed a BFF and no one was available. I was fighting a battle in my mind which was also affecting my heart and causing a heaviness I couldn’t shake (no, I wasn’t having a heart attack!). I needed someone to talk to, someone who would understand, comfort me and take away the heaviness I was feeling. During the turmoil going on in my mind, I felt a gentle nudging in my soul and a still, quiet voice said, “Talk to me, I will listen, I won’t condemn, I already know how you feel…”

There He was, my BFF, who I’ve known since childhood. He was available: no texting needed, wireless not required, and he’s close - closer than the mention of His Name!

JESUS AND ME – BEST FRIENDS FOREVER!

Psalm 27:7, 8 (NLT)
“Hear me as I pray, O Lord. Be merciful and answer me. My heart has heard you say ‘Come and talk to me’ and my heart responds ‘Lord, I am coming’.”

So, I spent time with my BFF that day, I whined and complained, and Jesus listened. He was not pushy or rude. He DID remind me of His attributes – how His burdens are light and His yoke is easy (Matthew 11:28). 

I know I can trust Him and that He is in control, as He has proven that to me time and time again over the years. Jesus tells me in His word that I am a friend of God!

Romans 5:10, 11 (NLT)
“For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.”

Jesus is truly my BFF and so much more. He is out of this world!

Maybe you need a BFF today, someone who won’t let you down – ever – forever.

Kristina A.

No comments:

Post a Comment