Tuesday, March 25, 2014

How Majestic Is Your Name

Psalm 8:1 & 3 says, “Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!” and “When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place” (NIV)

Many years ago I remember repeatedly listening to the Keith Green song “How Majestic Is Thy Name”. It was written almost directly from Psalm 8. (FYI: scripture set to music is a great way to remember it . . . even this many years later!) The words in this Psalm and song have always spoken to my heart. As a child I would gaze at the moon and stars (and especially the Big Dipper) when I would walk from our barn to the house. The reality of these verses have always spoken to me of how amazing and majestic God is.

Recently I had a window seat as I was flying home one night. As I looked out the window into the night sky I was amazed at how clear it was and how much I could see. There were no clouds – anywhere – and it was SO clear! As we were flying over a rather populated area, I thought it was the strangest feeling to be able to see so much out the window. You see there was a full moon that night and even though it wasn’t bright like the sun, the night sky was lit up in the most extraordinary way. It was so odd to look over the wing of the plane, see the freeways, the lit up subdivisions and even the rural farm yards. . . And here I was sitting in a plane flying over all of it. Crazy! My great-great grandparents would never have believed this!

And then “I considered the heavens . . . the moon and the stars, which you have set in place.”

And then I remembered Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!”

I so badly wanted to take a snapshot and capture that moment in time, but knew nothing would really do it justice. This was going to be one of those moments I would need to try to capture in my memory. I know over time it will fade and become just a memory, but it was simply an incredible sight. I was able to look out at a part of God’s world and realize that for a few minutes I was given a gift . . . a gift to see a piece of the world from another perspective. It was amazing!

I know if you live in a city it is challenging to find a spot away from the streetlights, but next time you are driving in the country at night, take a few minutes and look at the moon and stars in the sky and remember Who put them there  and praise God’s majestic name!!

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment