Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Thankful In Trials

We are guaranteed two things in life – death and change.

With change also come trials… I have one to share with you. My hope is that you embrace your hardships as opportunities to get closer to Jesus.

Months ago, we took a four month vacation abroad. We decided to purchase a vehicle while away. (We were travelling to a country dealing in Euros.) We deposited our funds at the bank, then the next day we discovered an error was made in the exchange rate. The bank was advised of said error and the branch acknowledged their mistake and advised it would be rectified quickly. 

The day before the vehicle pickup, we found out from the bank that not only was the error unresolved, but in order to do so, they withdrew the amount they had initially deposited into our account (despite being the wrong amount, it was the bulk of it). One would think fixing the error, would simply require an adjustment for the shortfall…not so. They had promised us our monies would be available for our use when we needed them, but that didn’t happen. We were so stressed…

More than six weeks had passed and we still had no access to our money. It was now Thanksgiving. I decided I could not go on like this feeling so troubled. I made a list of all the things I was grateful for. I praised God for all his blessings. I made a second list of the goals we had hoped to accomplish while on vacation, and realized they were happening; the vehicle acquisition had not run smoothly, but we still acquired it. I made the decision to fully RELEASE this burden to God! I verbalized my trust in Him. In the midst of this complication, I placed my faith in Him. As I praised Him, I kept hearing the Holy Spirit telling me to read James. 

The New King James Version, James 1:2-4 & 2:6 & 2:12

“My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials. Knowing that the testing of your faith, produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.”

“But let him ask in faith, with no doubting…”

“Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.”

Tears rolled down my cheeks; I felt so humbled and loved, knowing that God cared so much for us that He spoke so directly to our situation. This unresolved financial matter over-shadowed our whole trip, but now I slept well, I had peace and joy. Resolution occurred December 27.

Custodia V.

No comments:

Post a Comment