Friday, February 15, 2013

Bless the Lord!

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits!

Please join me on my Awareness Walk. I began this habit when I took the
S
piritual Disciplines course from Horizon College & Seminary in Saskatoon.

 I firmly shut the door, leave my yesterdays, leave my tomorrows, and become
'present'. Some call this 'mindfulness'. It's a time to meet God in His
world.


It is a prairie winter morning. Cold air slaps my cheeks. I catch my breath.
Take a long, slow breath. I pause and feel the breath of life fill my lungs.
I take another long, slow breath. And another, enjoying the rhythm. For in
Him I live and move and have my being. Thank- you, thank-you for the gift of
Life!


A giant poplar stands in my path. Tall and bare and patient. It knows the
seasons. It is resting. I touch the bumpy buds that hold a secret. Life is
present and waiting. Lord, I want to be like this tree - patient and strong.
Make me a giver of life!


Snowscapes catch my eye - snow, wind and snowploughs  push the prairie into
sweeping sculptures. Some with glossy peaks. Some are jagged cliffs. I
ponder the creativity of God.  Sacred ground. You meet us in the burning
bush and in the steps of snow. You are ever present! You are an amazing God!


Gentle snowflakes wash my face. Thousands of them. Ten quintillion water
molecules make up one snowflake. Each one unique in symmetry. A Master
Designer, for sure. O God, when I look at the work of Your hands, I praise
You!


I stop walking. I stand in silence. Perfectly still. I eavesdrop on a party
- of birds - there in the tall evergreens. Hidden in the boughs, they're
having a party! Chirping with friends, low pitch, high pitch. They're
Manitoba birds and talking about the weather. But they're cheerful, not
grumpy. I stand there a long time. And stand and stand. Do they mind the
intruder? Their music delights me. I smile at my tiny friends. I sing with
them, All creatures great and small, Lord God, You've made them all.
Thank-you, thank-you!


 Ribbons of blue are driving away the grey in the West. The horizon is
brilliant! I pause and muse. Awe and wonder! I know this Master Artist! My
heart pours out praise!  The Heavens declare the glory of God! I worship
You, O mighty God, there is none like You!


My steps are full of joy and I keep walking. I feel the muscles in my thighs
and calves. They're working hard; they enjoy working for me. I feel my toes.
They're happy to give me balance. The systems that allow me to walk are
infinitely complex. I pause. I celebrate. I am fearfully and wonderfully
made! I am God's masterpiece! Thank-you, Thank-you God!


I am home again. Relaxed. Refreshed. Joyful and humbled.


Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits! Bless His holy
name!


Ruth G.

Ruth is a mom, grandmother and distant ed. student at Horizon College & Seminary in Saskatoon. God has used her to bless numerous others in her local church.

No comments:

Post a Comment