Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Where Is Home?


I recently spent some time sitting at a garage waiting for some service to be completed on my vehicle. A magazine that I picked up there had a multiple choice quiz in it entitled “How Canadian Are You?”

Now, this has not been a burning question in my heart! I was born in Canada. I have lived my entire life in Canada. I had made the assumption that I was as Canadian as the next person.

Apparently I was mistaken!

According to an in depth analysis of my responses, which consisted of counting the number of times that I chose the ‘b’ answer, I am not a “quintessential Canadian”. In fact, I rate just above the “are you sure you are in the right country?” category!

Have you ever felt that…a sort of ‘maybe I am not in the right country’ feeling…that something is not quite right…that this place is not  home?

This is not about where you have chosen to live. It is not about flag waving or patriotism.

It is about citizenship somewhere else.

“But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Saviour from there, the Lord Jesus Christ…” (Philippians 3:20)

This life is not all that there is…that should challenge us…that should comfort us…

The challenge is in remembering that many things are just not as important as we deem them to be…because they are just for now.

The challenge is in living for the things that do matter…because they are not just for now.

The comfort…ah the comfort is that there is more!

That longing that you carry…that sense of being a stranger here…it is because your citizenship is not here.

The comfort is that as you struggle…whatever your struggle…it is only for now…really only for a moment.

That is not to make light of anything that you are battling…but it is just that it’s not all about now. There is more…so much more…

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment