Friday, March 22, 2013

The Book I Couldn't Put Down


A few weeks ago I went into a music/bookstore and browsed through some discounted books. I found only one book I was interested in (which was a good thing, 'cause I love books, especially for a good price). I tried to look at the other books but kept picking up this one book, reading some of it, putting it down, picking it up, reading some more  and felt compelled to buy it . . . so I did!

Have you ever experienced God talking to you about a certain issue in your life, and you finally clue in when the same issue keeps popping up "all over the place"? It is something you cannot ignore anymore, and if you did, you would be ignoring God. The book I bought, as well as the book our small group is studying addressed a certain issue God was dealing with in my life.

I will not put off telling you the title of the book any longer . . . the book I was compelled to buy is called "The Procrastination Cure" by Jeffery Combs.

I do not always procrastinate. When I do, it is usually to do something I really enjoy while postponing undesirable tasks. Procrastinating too often causes stress and anxiety in my life, which I could do without.

Spiritually speaking, for me, procrastination can happen when I make excuses for not sharing God's love with others (when the Holy Spirit prompts me). Some excuses I have made:
-this is not the right time
-she does not know me or like me
-I'll wait for her to talk to me
-tomorrow would be better
-next time I see her, etc.

I must act (sacrificially, if necessary) on the opportunities God gives me and ask for Godly wisdom to know which ones to let go.

Have you ever prayed the following "prayer"?

"Procrastination is my sin.
  It brings me naught but sorrow.
  I know I should stop it.
  In fact I will ------ tomorrow".
                                     (Gloria Pitzer)

Meditating on God's word and being obedient to His commands helps me with procrastination.  Ephesians 5: 15 - 17 says the following, "So be careful how you live. Don't live like fools, but like those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days. Don't act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do."   

This is my prayer.

Kristina A.

No comments:

Post a Comment