Friday, June 28, 2013

Eternal Time Line

I believe we live on an eternal time line.

What I mean by that is; I believe in life after death, heaven and hell, eternal life or eternal damnation.

God has ordained our moment of conception, the day and time of our arrival on earth, and the final breath we take. Ecclesiastes 3:2 says there is “a time to be born and a time to die”. In God’s eyes there is no unexpected, premature baby, there is not premature death – there is only God’s timing (which may not be ours).

When I find myself wrestling with God’s timing and why something happens which I don’t understand, I try to intentionally shift my thinking to God’s thinking, God’s timing and God’s perspective. 2 Peter 3:8 says,But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.” 

None of this is simple or easy, but if we continuously work at hearing the voice of God, knowing God's word and shifting our way of thinking to His; then we begin the steps to seeing things through His eyes. Isaiah 55:8 says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord." (NIV)

Many of us dedicated our children to the Lord when they were younger. Intending to teach them to love and serve God with their whole lives. Intending for them to ask for forgiveness and commit their lives to Him and obediently follow His footsteps as they got older.

When the difficult moments in life come . . . how do we really do as parents? When they are bullied at school do we teach them to find their value and self-confidence in God? Isaiah 43:1,4 says, "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name; you are mine . . . you are precious in my eyes, and honoured, and I love you." (ESV)

Do we teach them to turn the other cheek? Matthew 5:39b says, "If anyone slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other t him also." (HCSB) As well Luke 6:28 says, "Bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you." (NIV)

Often when real life happens to our kids “Momma-Bear” opens the front door and roars – for the whole world to hear, “That’s MY kid! Who do you think you are?!” Hopefully the roar isn't so loud we miss the voice of God saying, “They are MY children and I - Love - ALL - Of - Them!”

Ugh! Are you kidding me? That makes it so much harder! That obnoxious, loud-mouthed, bully is loved by God just like my kid . . . now how am I supposed to love them like Jesus does?! If I think Jesus doesn't love them then I don’t have to either . . . or so I try to justify myself . . . but He does! He loves them enough to go to the cross in their place and give His life for them. He longs for them to know Him and to give their lives to Him.

Perhaps our reaction needs to be figuring out how to set boundaries and to love someone who doesn’t behave very lovingly.

Have I read the book? Do I have the answers to this? NO! But do we still try? YES?!

When we dedicate our children to the Lord it doesn't mean they will now go through life without any health issues . . . without any challenges in school . . . without any relationship challenges . . . without making any poor decisions . . . without any bumps and bruises along the way.

  • It means we trust God with our kids more than we trust ourselves.
  • It means we trust that He will be more than enough for them.
  • It means we raise them to the best of our ability and trust God to fill in the gaps.
  • It means we release them so He can call them to great things.
  • It means we deal with our Momma’s hearts so they can go.
  • It means they also live in an eternal timeline and if they've committed their lives to the Lord; one day we will see them again.
  • It means we hold them with open hands and daily trust God with them.
Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment