Friday, June 7, 2013

The Essence of God

Sometimes I wonder about the God I serve and why I worship or even pray to Him (gasp! Did I say that out loud?)

Do you ever doubt the existence of an invisible God?

Sure, I see His handiwork in creation and in new born babies, but have I ever seen God? I try to figure God out or if He is even there.

Do I act like God is alive? At times, I wake up grumpy, I go to work grumpy and I come home grumpy . . . as if God is not a part of my life, living inside me, permeating the whole universe!!

“When I need answers, I start searching for the truth, and the Truth has set me free. (John 8:31, 32, 36)

Phillip Yancey states the following:  “Doubt always co-exists with faith, for in the presence of certainty who would need faith at all?”

So, on this walk of faith I have to keep reminding myself of some of the following truths:
  • Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. (Colossians 1:15)
  • God existed before anything else and holds all creation together. (Colossians 1:17)
  • I want to make God in my image, but He made me in His image.
  • God being God has the right to not reveal all things to me for my own good.
  • God’s ways are higher than mine and his thoughts are higher than mine. (Isaiah 55:8,9)
  • Try to live in the present moment and not in yesterday or tomorrow, I need to be intentional and focused.

“To live in the past and future is easy. To live in the present is like threading a needle.” (Walker Percy)

  • Faith is trusting that God has all the answers even when I don’t.
  • Honouring God in the midst of difficulty is wise and for my best.
  • Looking for God in the midst of trials and finding Him living in me, and through me, is ironic.  I am the Essence of God in this world, as the Holy Spirit lives in this clay temple.

My prayer is to remember the truths God has taught me and to be mindful of them as the Essence of God lives in me moment by moment, hour by hour, and day by day.  Amen

Kristina A.

No comments:

Post a Comment