Friday, July 5, 2013

Little While Friends

We were fortunate enough to escape for an early summer holiday for 10 days to a beautiful lake- a place of warmth, familiarity and rest. What a wonderful time of reprieve and self-indulgence! Indulgence in sunshine, play, reading, journaling and recreation. As is often the case, we encountered others doing the same thing! Being a conversationalist and away from my usual circles, I can feel like I’m going to implode if I don’t get my daily sum of words out. This year, I delighted myself in watching our boy extend *his* social wings courageously and completely, and befriend “the boy next door”. I watched as they got to know each other. Awkward at first, very surface level and then discovering they both enjoyed their play so much that they became fast friends – even if for only a little while. They've seen each other before, when we've visited here...but now...almost inseparable. We’re all made for connection. 

Truthfully, I believe we’re all looking for others to connect with, and frankly, that means others are looking to connect with us. I want to challenge you as you travel this summer: open your eyes and look around you. God is in the process of connecting folks. He desires to create and establish relationships that are dynamic among His people – saved and not. Here, you will find your strength. Watching these boys share their talents and ideas in conversation and play has challenged me. Sure there are vacation days when I would just as soon turn the world off and focus on my book, or shut eye. But, I am always encouraged more by sharing encouragement, lifting eyes up, renewing vision and lending a listening ear. There’s a whole hurting world out there…most, simply want to be heard. We give the gift of importance and value, simply by listening. We give a more divine gift by talking to God through the process for His leading. There will be pool parties, beach days, picnics and more. A treasure trove of wonderful opportunities to build relationships. We are all needed. This isn't about social networking...it’s about obedience to BE a living stone.

“And you are living stones that God is building into His spiritual temple.” 1 Peter 2:5

I’m determined to grow in this area this summer. Will you join me in making a beautiful pathway? After all, we’re all made for connection.

Press in and press on,
Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment