Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Personal Research and the Journey

I write this post with a little bit of hesitation. It is hard to articulate what I want to stay, but I hope there is some grace here, and that I can get the words across. I have recently been going through some very big life changes. I was diagnosed with a condition, and since have figured out how many things that I always thought were just “me” are actually symptoms of the condition.

My doctors did not give me a whole lot of help and options, but rather gave me an option of medication that would treat the symptoms, not the condition. I wasn't sure that I was comfortable with that. Other people would tell me things that I should maybe start doing or not doing. Someone else would tell me what their cousin’s friends’ sister did. Many people had ideas about what to do and how to do it. After prayer and many thoughts about other peoples’ ideas, I came to the conclusion that I needed to do the research for myself. I needed to find out what I needed, and what is best for ME, so I took to research. I dug, and researched, and finally decided to make a large diet change. (We’re talking big . . . like take all your favorite foods and never eat them again!)

It was a decision that I knew was right and I felt good about! Through this process, I couldn't help but think of the parallel between the physical and the spiritual. I firmly believe that as things are in the physical, they are in the spiritual. Please recognize that while this is a loose metaphor, it is there, nonetheless.

Our world in general, is very good at treating symptoms. Those outside of the church can be very well-intentioned, but offer only things that treat the symptoms of our spiritual struggle. We hear some preachers saying one thing, and other teachers saying something else. We have friends with one belief system, and TV personalities with another tried and true method on living well. How does one’s faith survive?

While I don’t want to underemphasize the Christian community, and a pastors’ role in our faith and teaching us the word of God, I believe that there is not enough emphasize on working out our own faith. Digging in and find what God is saying to “ME.” The Bible has all the answers for my spiritual condition. It has all the next steps and ways to heal and grow me into a better person. It shows me how to rid myself of the symptoms of sin in my life. Only “me” sitting down and reading the scripture for myself, and knowing myself, and where I am spiritually, and applying the scripture to myself will allow me to become the person I want to be. Listening to a pastor alone will not give me the fullness of God’s truth. Following someone else’s faith journey step by step will not necessarily take me deeper in my own personal relationship with God.

We, as Christ Followers, need to know where God is leading us personally. Just as I needed to evaluate what to do with my health for myself, and own the decisions that I have made. I own my faith by doing the research into God’s word myself, and making my faith a priority to me.

I have been very blessed to have people come alongside me and understand my diet and life changes, and walk it with me without trying to push their ideas on me. These people are invaluable to me. I think of these people like church friends and pastors in my spiritual life, the people to walk my faith with me as I do it; not just telling me how and what to do.

Something to think about? “Your word is a lamp for my feet, and a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105

Kourtnay K.

No comments:

Post a Comment