Tuesday, November 20, 2012

What If...


What if… If only… Do thoughts that begin with those phrases keep you awake at night, tossing and turning? Do they disturb your thoughts through the day?

Regrets… mistakes… missed opportunities…. longing for a second chance… worrying about the impact of yesterday on today….

We can give the past so much of our present, carrying the burden of it with us… letting it control… even paralyze…

When my days and nights are consumed, even dominated, by the what ifs of yesterday, I am setting myself up for more of the same… that today will be tomorrow’s regret filled with what if…

What if my focus changed… what if I lived today with what is my promise for today?

What if I listened to a different voice… to the One who will not only “repay you for the years the locusts have eaten…” (Joel 2:25) but is in fact willing to blot out my transgressions … (Is. 43:25), removing them as far as the east is from the west… (Ps. 103:12). What if I believed that… what if I walked in that?

What if instead of reliving those moments of rejection and hurt, I believed that I am loved with an everlasting love… (Jer. 31:3). Think on that! Everlasting… always was… always will be…

What if instead of focusing on mistakes, missed opportunities and missteps, I believed that there is mercy for me… everyday… every morning because He is faithful and that mercy doesn’t depend on me… or on my faithfulness…(Lam. 3:22-24).

What if I believed that my steps are directed… (Prov. 20:24) even that the way is prepared for me… (Ps. 85:13)?

What if I believed that my worrying was pointless because the One who cares for the ravens and the lilies of the field sees my need and will provide… (Luke 12:22-30).

What if I believed that there is Someone who has carried my sorrows so that I don’t have to… (Is 53:4)?

What if today I listened to the One who loves me, who died for me, who doesn’t condemn me instead of to the one who accuses me… (John 3:16,17)?

What if I listened to the One who had the final word instead of to the one who has only words, and none of them true… (Rom 8:31)?

What if I choose life over death… every day… (John 5:24)?

What if…???

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment