Tuesday, January 22, 2013

What’s the Plan?


I don’t want this to sound like I am bragging but I haven’t broken my New Year’s resolutions yet! I have a secret to accomplish this. It’s been successful for several years now. Do you want to know what it is?

I haven’t made them yet.

It’s not that there isn’t a whole list of things that I need to work on…improve on…get started…or even quit. I just don’t seem to get around to the whole resolution thing.

I think I could buy into the concept of resolutions more if I could tackle them by mid January… sort of a “The Year Isn’t Really All That Old Yet” resolution. It doesn’t roll off the tongue nearly as easily but I might have more success with it.

I do like a plan. I like to know where I am headed, what I need to do to get there and what it will look like once I’m there but making that plan January 1st – just can’t get that done!

The life that Abraham was asked to live has been on my mind lately. I wonder if he would have liked a little more of a plan to work with, perhaps a few more details. God spoke to him and told him to leave his country, his people and his father’s household and to “go to the land I will show you.” (Genesis 12:1)

Just go, Abram (before the name change to Abraham). Just go – I will show you the land. This was long before the cloud by day and pillar of fire by night guidance system. As far as I can tell, there weren’t a lot of directions along the way. No one to confirm the path …no footsteps to follow as no one had been sent on this journey before…just the word to go.

How is that even a plan? How could that possibly be God’s plan?

But it was. Just go…you have heard my voice Abram…I will bless you…I will show you…now go…

So he went! And God did show him. God did bless him. He had the most amazing journey. A most amazing adventure. A most amazing life…because he listened and then he went.

Are you hearing God tell you to go but you are waiting for the plan? Just go.
                                                                                                    
Across the country, across the world, or maybe most difficult, across the street? …Just go.

Worried about the plan? Don’t be. God always has a plan Always.

“Many, O Lord my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare.” (Psalm 40:5)

Ruth U.

No comments:

Post a Comment