Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Consequences


There are always consequences for our choices and decisions. I believe this and I've tried to instill this in our children. However, sometimes we aren't aware of the far-reaching ramifications of the decisions we make. Both positive consequences and/or negative consequences.

Matthew 27:3-5 says, “When Judas, who had betrayed him, realized that Jesus had been condemned to die, he was filled with remorse. So he took the thirty pieces of silver back to the leading priests and the elders. “I have sinned,” he declared, “for I have betrayed an innocent man.” “What do we care?” they retorted. “That’s your problem.” Then Judas threw the silver coins down in the Temple and went out and hanged himself.”

I’ve always found Judas to be an interesting individual. Actually, I find Jesus’ decision to ask him to be a disciple and his acceptance of him very challenging. Jesus knew who and what Judas was. He also knew, before Judas betrayed him with a kiss, what he was going to do. My humanity just wants to stomp my foot and say that’s just not right, but I also humbly realize Jesus KNEW Judas and still choose him. (This really challenges to be more like Jesus!) Even though I did not betray Jesus for 30 pieces of silver I’ve sinned – repeatedly. I’ve hurt Jesus (and others) with my words and my actions, and I’ve hurt those Jesus loves (and those I love) with my words and my actions.

So what does it look like to love individuals in spite of their actions? Or what does it look like to live with the consequences we live with because of someone else’s actions?

In some strange, weird way I feel a connection with Judas who, perhaps thought he could make a quick buck (or thirty pieces of silver), but was left with a consequence he couldn't live with. How many times have we been left with the consequences of our decisions and it was nothing like we imagined . . . or perhaps we didn't even take the time to think through the consequences of our decisions or actions. And hopefully, somewhere in the midst of this we learn to offer grace – to others and to ourselves.

I think it really helps when we can learn to love others without expectations – better known as unconditional love.

I am thankful for the cross . . . where My Saviour took all of my sins so I could have direct access to my heavenly Father.

I am thankful for God’s redemption . . . buying back something (ME!) that is already His.

I am thankful for God’s grace . . . receiving what we don’t deserve – full access to a sinless, perfect Heavenly Father.

I am thankful for the cross and the consequences I receive when my Saviour chose to go to the cross for me.

I am thankful for the opportunity to spend my eternity in heaven.

We live with consequences everyday based on the choices and decisions of ourselves and others. I hope you will take some time to reflect on the consequences of your decisions as you think of the decision Jesus made when He went to the cross for you.

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment