Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Soundtrack

A movie soundtrack is a collection of songs that evoke emotion, mood, and atmosphere as you watch the images onscreen. Imagine movies without soundtracks. No “Eye of the Tiger” as Rocky faces an opponent in the boxing ring. No grand, sweeping orchestra playing as the boy finally kisses the girl. No ominous minor melody as Jaws is about to attack. These songs give us clues as to how we should feel and what’s going to happen next. Music intensifies the movie experience.

Each of us has a soundtrack playing in the background of our lives. There are statements running through our heads that impact how we feel and how we behave. Our soundtrack can consist of things others have told us such as “you’re so pretty/ugly/stupid/smart/bad/good” or what we believe about ourselves such as “I’m not good enough/I suck compared to so-and-so/I don’t deserve blank”. These statements can be positive or negative. They may contain truth or they may contain falsehood. I cannot rely solely on others to carve out my identity. I certainly cannot rely on my feelings to determine who I am. They can change on a whim and are not to be trusted. The only source I could look to for unwavering truth is the God who created me and loves me unselfishly.

A verse that speaks to me significantly is Zephaniah 3:17 which says, “For the Lord your God is living among you He is a mighty Saviour He will take delight in you with gladness With His love, He will calm all your fears He will rejoice over you with joyful songs”

I wonder what kind of songs God sings over me. Maybe His songs are sprinkled with words we find in the Bible like:

“I love you”, “I take delight in you”, “Do not fear – I am with you”, “I won’t leave you”, “You are my son/daughter”, “You are a co-heir with Christ”, “You are a new creation”, “You are chosen and dearly loved”.

These are the kinds of songs that bring me joy and calm my fears. These are the kinds of words that I can settle into and let define me. This is the kind of soundtrack I want to inform my thoughts, feelings and actions.

Here’s a link to a list of 100 things God says about you: 

Brenda E.

No comments:

Post a Comment