Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Not Worthless


I have so much admiration for people who have learned multiple languages, especially when one of those languages learned is English. This isn’t because I think that everyone should speak English. This is because English can be ridiculous!

Let me give you some examples:

Your nose may run and your feet may smell.

Quicksand works slowly.

Money doesn’t grow on trees but your local bank is a branch.

If you arrive late for work you might use the excuse that your alarm didn’t go off when really wasn’t it a problem that it didn’t go on?

While none of these examples are very serious, the way we understand words, or maybe misunderstand them, can lead us to some incorrect conclusions.

Consider the word “unworthy.” What comes to mind?

The scenario that pops into my mind is the prodigal son rehearsing the speech that he plans to give to his father on his return home…”I am no longer worthy to be called your son…”

I’m not worthy…I have messed up…I blew it…not worthy…not good enough….worthless…

Does that transition, that progression, ever trip you up? Do you equate unworthy with worthless?

The truth is that in ourselves we are not worthy. We do not and can not measure up. We can not earn a restored relationship with God the Father so does that make us worthless? No! Never!

God sent his Son – the very best he had to offer, to die for us… to enable restored relationship, not because we were worthless but because of his great love for us. Unworthy and so a way had to be provided. If worthless, then why bother providing a way?

“I took you from the ends of the earth; from its farthest corners I called you. I have said’ You are my servant’; I have chosen you and have not rejected you.” (Isa.41:9)

Called…chosen…not rejected!

Created by him…in his image…made for relationship with him!

Though unable and unworthy to attain that on our own…worthless is never the Father’s word!

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment