Friday, August 17, 2012

Stop! In the Name of Love


Even pop culture can be full of surprises. The Supremes' Motown hit song, that is the title of this article, from 1965 embraces God's very heart; all be it, out of context. Go ahead and listen to it. You can find it right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIhcbwYUHc  I'll wait. ~smile~

Now, stay with me... There's no doubt how loving our God is: willing to endure the hardships of an earthly existence through His Son. However, there is a part of Him that demands our attention: He wants to be our first love and He is a jealous God.

"You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me, but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments." Exodus 20:4-6

God's desire is for our actions and heart to follow Him. He reminds us over and over with His faithfulness and unending forgiveness how much He loves us and wants us to succeed – to thrive for Him! Hearing this song on the radio recently, and finding myself humming the tune over and over got me thinking... He does want us to think it over – He gives us a choice every day – moment to moment. Will we sin recklessly following our own human desire, or will we choose to stop and realign our attitude, our thoughts, our actions with His commands and instructions? Stop, in the Name of LOVE and chase after His plan and will for your life.

Are you in a difficult place right now? STOP! Reflect on His love:

"But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel:
Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.  For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Saviour. I give Egypt as your ransom Ethiopia and Seba in exchange for you. Because you are precious in my sight, and honoured, and I love you, I give people in return for you, nations in exchange for your life." 
Isaiah 43:1-4

...and chase hard – the reward is great!

"I want their hearts to be encouraged and united in love, so that they may have all the riches of assured understanding and have the knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I am saying this so that no one may deceive you with plausible arguments." Colossians 2:2-4

Do you still find that clever tune in your mind? Let's stop the infatuation with things not from Him. Let's explore more on “the chase” next week.

Press in and press on,
Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment