Monday, December 24, 2012

Fear


Have you ever been left incapacitated by fear? Has it left you completely frozen in place or did you find yourself running like you've never run before? It's amazing how a simple, three-letter word (boo!) can cause one to jump higher than any Michael Jordan slam dunk.

Even though we can analyze in our heads it was only our friend or cousin standing on the pathway, that basic act of whispering "boo" sends one into action as they high-tail it for safety, familiarity and some sort of source of light.

The spiritual parallel here seems so obvious as I sit and type this, but on a dark path, with my mind wandering/questioning the unknown shadows around me; I can often be left more skittish than I'd like to admit.

On this Christmas Eve you may wonder what fear and Christmas have in common, but I can only imagine the hesitant moments of fear Mary, and even Joseph, felt as they began the journey to bring Jesus into this world. We can easily read ahead and know the rest of the story, but they walked it out step by step, day by day in the midst of family, friends, neighbours, the priests in the synagogue and many others.

In Luke 2:29 the angel Gabriel says to Mary, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favour with God."

In the midst of the young, teenager's journey I can only imagine the many times Mary needed to remind herself of the words from the angel Gabriel. "Do not be afraid."

Scripture is a powerful tool when we find ourselves fearful, frightened and even downright unnerved to the bones. Memorizing scripture and quoting it to ourselves, even out loud, reminds us of God's truth and the power of His word.

"We take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2 Cor. 10:5

So what if I purposed to take captive my mind and my thoughts? What if I planted God's truth deep into the recesses of my mind and heart - to be pulled up at any given moment to remind me of my God? What if I always kept my feet walking God's lighted pathway so I'd never fear the dark?

"Your word is a lamp to my feet
 and a light for my path." Ps. 119:105

Merry Christmas from our house to yours. May the peace from our Heavenly Father, which passes all understanding, rest in your hearts today.  

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment