Monday, December 17, 2012

Peace


“I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”

Peace – on earth? Headlines mock the song.

“And in despair I bowed my head
‘There is no peace on earth,’ I said,
‘For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men’.”

As we mourn with those who mourn and pray for comfort and yes, even for peace, for those from whom peace has been torn, we also need to guard our own hearts from despair.

When unimaginable tragedy becomes reality… when “peace on earth” seems little more than a mocking phrase…when the message given to the shepherds so long ago – 'on earth peace to men' seems so out of reach…where is peace?

Jesus said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” John 14:26, 27

I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

Where is peace?

In the Prince of Peace who came as a baby to bring peace…peace that transcends our circumstances…peace that transcends the turmoil… peace that transcends the violence and the hurt… peace that transcends our understanding…

“Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep:
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men.”

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment