Monday, February 21, 2011

Dust Bunnies & Sin

I understand a group of rabbits is called a herd and a herd of rabbits live in a warren. Now before you think I am a walking encyclopedia, I'm not. I googled it.


Here's my question I've been pondering... could I call a large clump of dust a 'herd of dust bunnies'?

I don't know about you but keeping up with dusting, cleaning and the dreaded dust bunny is a never-ending job – at least at my house. Not long ago the invasion of the dust bunnies took on a whole new meaning. I was busy... then a little at a time... before I knew it... they were everywhere. If I kept the curtains closed and the lights turned down low I found they weren't as noticeable. I thought about tackling them, but it seemed to be an overwhelming job. (I know some of you can relate to this.)  The other day I was standing doing dishes and decided it was time to take on the dust bunnies. I gave myself a little pep-talk, “I could do it. I've done it before. Today was as good a day as any.”

Then the thought came to me... this is a little like sin. If we're not diligent it creeps in, a little at a time and before you know it we're overwhelmed and not sure where to start. I'm reminded of 1 Peter 5:8 which says, “Be on your guard and stay awake. Your enemy, the devil, is like a roaring lion, sneaking around to find someone to attack.” I can't say I've ever heard of someone being attacked by dust bunnies, but they can certainly sneak up on you. Just because the lights are turned down and they're hardly noticeable doesn't mean they aren't still in the corners. The challenge comes in persevering and staying on guard.. We need to roll up our sleeves, open up the curtains and get busy. Here are the lessons I've learned/learning:
  • Be on guard
  • Clean up and repent every day
  • If it gets away on you get help
  • Call someone if you need to

I'm still learning, but with God's grace and a good vacuum & duster I should be able to go another week.

Jo-Ann

1 comment: