Monday, February 7, 2011

Influencer or Leader?

"Leadership is influence.  Nothing more and nothing less."  John Maxwell


If you are a woman of influence, then you are a leader. Leanne McAlister shared this statement while I was at the national women's conference in Moncton, NB last month. For many years I didn't consider myself a leader. It's only been in the past few years I would put myself into the category of leader. When she talked about leaders as people who influence others I had to reconsider how I have been defining a leader.

People influence others all of the time. In our workplaces, at home, at school, what we watch on tv, as well as what we listen to through our headphones. When I think of influencers on the playground I see both bullies as well as kids who reach out and include new kids to their circle of friends. We can look at and read about world leaders who have made significant and positive changes to their countries, as well as leaders who have buckled the knees of their countrymen and women. A leader isn't a leader because they do good. A leader is a leader because they have the ability to influence others.

Well this gets me thinking... how do others influence me, and how do I influence others? Am I influencing them for my benefit or am I influencing them to be God-followers. To be more like Jesus. To live life where it counts. To make a difference in the world we live in. Whether it's in your home, your workplace, at school or in your backyard – how are you influencing others? Who are you going to influence them towards?

My prayer is Jesus, because at the end of the day that's what really matters.

Hebrews 13:7 (NLT)
“Remember your leaders who taught you the word of God. Think of all the good that has come from their lives, and follow the example of their faith.”

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment