Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homework

In grade 9 I remember sitting at my desk, bent over my notebook with pencil in hand diligently writing. I was in French class learning about conjugating verbs. Our teacher thought the best way to learn (and remember) verbs in French was to write them out.

Many years later I am sorry to say I know very little French and I don't think I could really explain what it means to conjugate a verb. However, I don't think the reason for this is because I, along with my classmates, spent many hours writing out words in French. In the moment it actually helped me remember what I was learning.

When I think about it our teacher was using 4 out of 5 of our senses to try to help us learn what was trying to be taught. Our teacher had already said the words and we attempted to, somewhat accurately, repeat the words back to him (hearing and speaking), then we were writing the words (touch and sight) to help us remember what we were being taught by seeing the words in front of us.

I recently hear a speaker (Billy Richards) at one of our church camps say this idea. “A disciple is a student of Jesus. Now go and do your homework.” It has seriously got me thinking. How well or how often am I doing my homework? Everyday? Once a week? Once a month? How often do we put into practise what we've learned about Jesus?

When I think back to my years in school I can't say I enjoyed doing homework, but I didn't want to be caught with in not finished. Why have I allowed myself to not do my homework when it comes to what I've learned about Jesus?

I am again reminded of a familiar verse which says, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Mt. 28:19-20

As a student of Jesus, homework is about doing what we've been taught in the Bible. Have a great week doing your homework!

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment