Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Baggage Handlers


I am by no means a seasoned traveller. Actually I am not really even a fan of travelling. I don’t mind being somewhere else….it’s the getting there that gives me grief.

Part of the “getting there” is luggage. What to pack. What not to pack. Checked luggage. Carry on luggage. Can I bring my nail clippers now or is that still a threat to national security?

The last time that I spent some time at an airport waiting for a connecting flight, I was doing some people watching. This thought crossed my mind: What did people do in airports before they had wireless devices and before the invention of suitcases with wheels? I really hope that the guy who came up with the wheels on luggage idea got some sort of prize for that!

Watching travellers, you can easily guess who the veterans are. They know how to stack their baggage neatly and efficiently and off they go, confidently dragging it behind them. Doesn’t matter that it weighs a ton. It doesn’t slow them down one bit.

Then there are the newbies. They either have brand new luggage or something they dug out of grandma’s closet. Either way, they are not comfortable with it at all. They obviously need some help.

A few years ago, I had the privilege of making a trip with a few folks from my church into the DRC (Democratic Republic of Congo). As we crossed the border into that country, we were met with singing and much, much joy…and people that we had never seen before began taking our luggage! It was a little disturbing until we were assured that these were members of the church that we had come to visit. Throughout our stay they continually honoured us in this way – suitcases, backpacks, purses, Bibles…to carry our stuff was an expression of love. Oddly enough, it took some getting used to…we like to think that we can handle our own stuff.

In my daily walk, I am sometimes like the veteran traveller. I have been dragging my baggage around so long that I have become quite skilled. To anyone looking on it could appear that I have everything under control. No matter how heavy it looks, I can pull it with ease. No help needed thank-you.

Some days, I am the newbie traveller. The load that I’ve got is a little much to handle. But I am not sure where to turn – the veterans make it look so easy.

Occasionally, I get it right and allow those who love me to carry my burdens for me.

Gal.6:2 “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”

When you read this verse do you think, “I could do that – whose burdens can I carry today?”
That’s good. Do that!

Do you allow others the same honour – of helping you with your burdens? Maybe that question is for the “veteran travellers” among us. We’ve been “churched” for quite awhile. Our baggage is neatly packed, well organized and we are ready to carry on. The thing is, that is neither good for us nor for those who may be looking to us to be an example to follow.

We don’t have to tell everyone everything – that’s not healthy either. However, we do all need to find at least two or three whom we honestly allow to walk beside us.

Ecc.4:9,10 &12
Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Though one can be overpowered, two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

There is strength in numbers…especially when it comes to handling baggage!

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment