Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Beyond the Flannel Graph

I am involved in a Bible Study in which we are simply going through Luke’s Gospel, chapter by chapter. There are many stories in Luke which bring me back to time well spent in Sunday School. Sometimes as I read I can picture the flannel graph characters!

I need to go beyond the flannel graph and remind myself that what I am reading is not just a story. It is an account of an actual event in a real person’s life. It happened. As I read and think about these very real people, the judgements come easily. I need to put myself into their story and then question whether I would have acted any differently or even if I am acting any differently right now.

Let me give you an example of what I mean. We were recently reading in Luke 8 the account of “the healing of a demon possessed man” (vs. 26-38). Briefly, the story is this: Jesus and his disciples cross a lake & find a man who is demon possessed and lives in a graveyard. Jesus delivers him. Pigs die. People come to see what has happened. They see the man completely changed. They are afraid. Here is the part that makes me wonder what was wrong with these people. “then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear. So He got into the boat and left.” (vs. 37)

People – what were you thinking!! You sent Jesus away? Couldn’t you see the difference that he made and that it was good? Had you grown so accustomed to and so comfortable with the man living among the tombs, that to see him whole was too much of a change? What did you fear? Did you fear that Jesus might change you?

After I get over my frustration with these people then I feel sad for them. What did they miss by sending Jesus away? What amazing, life changing things could have been done for them, in them and through them?

Next, I must put myself in their place. What would my response have been? What is my response today? When Jesus shows me a change that needs to happen in my heart or in my life, do I always trust or is fear my go to reaction? Fear that the change will be too big. Fear of the reaction of those around me. I may not give voice to my thoughts but am I saying, like the people of the Gerasenes, ‘not here Jesus – not now. Off you go. I can manage.’

Two verses come to mind. Verses that I have heard often and repeated often but verses that still need to be repeated until we get the truth of them settled deep into our hearts.

Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

Jer. 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Can I encourage you to embrace the change? Embrace the plan – God’s plan for you. It might startle a few folks. If the alternative is that Jesus gets into the boat and leaves….well, is that really an alternative that you want to consider?

Dear ones, we can trust Him. He is absolutely, completely trustworthy. All His plans are for your good. All of them.

Ruth

1 comment: