Friday, March 9, 2012

Testing


A few weeks ago our oldest daughter came home with a question. "Can you help me with my school project?" When she told me the job required 'tools' I quickly pointed her in the direction of her Daddy. The project? Build a chair. I'm sure I could have figured it out, but not without a significant injury to one of us (probably me).

They worked together, father and daughter, to build a chair that would meet the project requirements. The project wasn't finished though until it had been tested and adjustments had been made.

James 1 says "Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds"

I'm sure the chair, had it a voice, would have contested being sat on, moved around and shaken during it's 'trial'. Pressure, affliction and hardship are other great descriptors when we're considering the trials that test our faith. The poor chair would definitely agree that pressure had been applied!

As I consider the testing of my own faith I've realized I'm not at all like the chair. I've contested my testing with questions like "Does God not trust that my faith is secure?" and "Why is He letting this happen?"

I've come to realize that I have approached the testing from the wrong angle. If I believe that God knows all and sees all then maybe the testing of my faith isn't actually for God's benefit at all. If the testing of my faith isn't for Him, then who is it for and what are the benefits?

"Consider it pure joy my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance and perseverance must finish it’s work so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:2

It took too long for the light bulb to flicker on and for me to realize that the testing is for my benefit. Let me say it again. The testing is for MY benefit. Testing develops a perseverance that works to bring maturity and completeness that only comes from testing. Knowing the benefits then, why wouldn't I consider the mature response of pure joy?

What James is writing about is not necessarily a single event or experience, but it can be applied to our ongoing journey. I wonder where you are at in the journey of faith. Are you experiencing the trials and testing, the hard work of persevering or are you coming through and experiencing maturity? Perhaps you're in the building phase, working with your Father as He teaches you how to measure, nail, cut and assemble a faith that withstands the testing.

Regardless of where you are at I pray you can join James and consider it pure joy.

Tammy
Tammy is a wife, mom and university student, as well as a campus worker at the University of Manitoba.
Check out www.SegueUofM.com for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment