Monday, May 7, 2012

Buddy System


Recently I have recalled some memories of the church camp I went to as a kid. One of the camp rules was you could only go swimming if you had a buddy. It wasn't a buddy in theory, but a buddy in reality. Together we had to go to the lifeguard and let them know who our buddy was. Then, and only then, could we go in the water. Considering the camp was situated on a lake, and as children we were not always aware of the danger or potential danger of the lake water, it was a really good rule to have.

I've considered this "rule" in regards to other areas in our lives. Not necessarily because of the potential danger (but I suppose that is a possibility), but because there is company, safety and confidence building when we go with our "buddy". God made us to be in relationship with Him and others and it only makes sense to walk out our daily lives with someone else - a buddy.

On different occasions in the gospels Jesus sent the disciples out two by two. Luke 10:1 says, "After this the Lord appointed seventy-two others and sent them two by two ahead of him to every town and place where he was about to go."

A familiar verse to me from Eccel. 4:12 says, "A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."

Have you ever been involved with a potluck lunch or doing something with a few others to help someone else out? Isn't it more fun and fulfilling when you are with others?

I heard a lady speaking on a CD I purchased the other day, and it challenged me. She said find something you do well, ask the Lord how you can share it with others, then do it. (Sounds easy enough!) She shared a story about a lady who loved to bake muffins, so this lady began baking muffins for different areas of ministry in their church. This go me thinking . . . what do I do well? Lord, how do you want me to share it with others? And could I take a buddy along with me?

Perhaps the buddy is a friend or someone you're mentoring, or perhaps it's someone who is mentoring you and you've yet to become friends with them . . . whichever it is, let me encourage you to ask the Lord to show you what you can share with others (churched or non-churched), and then take a buddy along with you.

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment