Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tasting Discipleship - Pt. 2


When I think about mentoring and discipleship, I waver because I don’t believe they mean the same thing. You see to me having a mentor is someone who is there with answers to my questions. There to oversee a conversation, to add input into your life once every two weeks…or perhaps that’s my churchy experience with it.

As you read 2 Timothy (the whole two pages of the entire book) you see the whole book is such a powerful example of what discipleship is. It is a lifestyle with lasting, Godly and life building truth. Its about the bigger picture, about more than our lives and ourselves. At the crux, living life with people actually in it and exposing yourself and others to your life and to the honesty of theirs. Its about letting people in to the real you and your walk with Jesus….and for most of us, that is a challenging and often a frightening thing to do.

In my life from a jr. high and high school age I have had someone discipling me. (Read Tasting Discipleship Pt. 1 - April 24) It is scary at first, but just like anything God calls us to do, you ask Him for the wisdom and courage to do it, immerse yourself in the Word and then the more you do it, the more it becomes your lifestyle.

I like to disciple with two levels as my focus. A smaller more focused group and a larger but not as in depth group. Since you can’t disciple tons and tons of people yourself, and they in turn need to also begin to do it, my primary discipleship group of women is the smaller group. They are the three women that I pour into sometimes on a weekly basis I simply meet up with them for coffee or even go shopping with them. If they have kids I make sure that I make it as easy for them as possible and either do cooking with them at their home or a walk outside with their kids. Its just doing life together and being real with each other. My secondary circle is larger but not as in depth. I try to stay in touch via text, facebook, and the occasional dinner. They always know that they can call or connect whenever they need to and I do initiate contact on a monthly basis.

Discipleship is a two way street, sometimes I think people forget that. They think its about someone just taking all their brain power or spilling their guts on their life. Don’t get me wrong, its about being honest and having a safe, gossip free place to gain wisdom, a lot of hugs and so much more. One girl that I disciple is just incredible. She’s walked her own real journey and yet never fails when she knows I have a huge project coming up to send me a text saying “praying for you” or “how did it go?” When we meet up she is eager to share back and forth both asking questions about my life and sharing about hers. We bounce work ideas off each other and pray for each other. Its exciting for me when we get to spend time connecting because I know its going to be a great night out where we both walk away with some meat for the soul. She is also now discipling a core of women…women that I could not have reached. It is such a joy to see God moving through her life!

I also see it as essential to continue to be discipled in my own life. In Romans 1.11-12 Paul says: “I long to see you so that I may impart some spiritual gift to make you strong- that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith.” As I’ve gotten older I have become much more private about my life, but I know that when I connect with those who I am discipled by, I can be honest without gossip or ill advice. It’s the same friendship format I have with my women I disciple and it is such a great blessing in my own life. There is such power and support in your life when you have a godly woman investing into your heart. Discipleship is worth it. Like I said, you don’t have to be prefect or have the perfect home or do upscale things. Just spending time with that person, says they matter to you. It is also an extension of Christ that you’re investing in their life, not as your bi-weekly duty but as their friend - even if you have to change a diaper or give them a hand with shopping.

Re read 2 Timothy, the two pages of the book. Then go to John 15.1-17. Jesus and discipleship. Get encouraged, full of His power and begin or continue to make discipleship apart of your lifestyle*

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment