Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Halifax . . . and beyond!


A couple of years ago our oldest son moved to Halifax. Halifax! You can hardly get there from here – or so it seemed to this mom’s heart. I know the drive is possible – I mean that’s how he got there but seriously, Susan and I would not both survive in the car together over so many miles. (Susan is my GPS lady – see Feb 29 posting.)

The only other option that seemed feasible to get me to Halifax was to fly. Great. Another of my ‘not favourite’ things to do.

Longing to see my son and the place that he now calls home far outweighed my dislike of flying and travel in general. We booked our flights and off we went.

I am thankful for emails, facebook and telephone calls that help the miles seem not so great but nothing, nothing at all, compares with being able to wrap your arms around your son, even if he’s all grown up. Then and only then do you really, really know how he is doing.

It is so very important for all of us to know and to remember always that no matter where we are, and no matter where those we love are, our Father is there.

When we can’t be with those we love . . . God is there.

Whether it is only miles that have separated us or whether they have wandered in every sense of the word . . . God is still there.

As much as you have experienced the comfort of God’s presence in your day and know that He is here, with you, also know that God is there . . . where you cannot be.

“If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.” (Ps. 139:9,10)

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment