Friday, May 25, 2012

Redeeming Time


Here’s a sobering reminder:

"See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." Eph. 5:15-16

Don’t take a single day for granted, God whispers. Every day counts! A wise woman knows she only has today, to live in Him, for Him, by His strength and with His plan in mind. Today is all we have to live out the purpose God has set for us. I don’t know about you, but I find it easy to make plans. I find it even easier to disappoint myself and others by not following through or procrastinating. I need reminders – I need to be committed to reviewing these reminders (notes) I make to myself – sometimes, I just actually need to write down my thoughts and things I’m trying to remember. In pondering this, I’m reminded of just how important it is, to reaffirm God’s purposes and requirements for my life during my quiet time – moreover to seek His continued confirmation of the direction I am going.

I looked up a few key words from the above text in the 1928 Webster’s Dictionary and discovered the following definitions:
- circumspectly means: Cautiously; with watchfulness every way; with attention to guard against surprise or danger
- redeeming means: Ransoming; procuring deliverance from captivity, capture, bondage, sin, distress or liability to suffer, by the payment of an equivalent
- evil means: Having bad qualities of a natural kind; mischievous; having qualities which tend to injury, or to produce mischief.

Interesting. Let me repeat the above, replacing those words with their meaning.

See then that you walk cautiously, with watchfulness every way; with attention to guard against surprise or danger; not as fools but as wise; ransoming; procuring deliverance from captivity, capture, bondage, sin, distress or liability to suffer, by the payment of an equivalent time, because the days are mischievous, with a qualities to injure or produce mischief.

Let’s not be foolish ladies. Instead, watchful! attentive! delivered! Welcome the gift of each new day. Seize it enthusiastically! Practice what you know. Encourage others. Remember, it’s God’s day . . . how will you fill the minutes? This week I was reminded of a profound saying: “Do not allow 1 minute of anger to rob you of 60 seconds of happiness.” Mischief. I would also suggest replacing anger/happiness with gossip/character; impatience/joy; jumping to conclusions/perspective; envy/thankfulness; lying/truth; the list could go on, but I think you get the idea.

So what does God require? Arlene Mason presented an encouraging reminder from the Word at our last district retreat (in Dryden, ON). "God requires us to act justly, love mercy and walk humbly before our God". Micah 6:8

Let us walk together, encouraging one another, making every day’s moments count. This week, I want to encourage you to redeem your time.

Press in and press on,
Giselle

1 comment: