Monday, May 14, 2012

Jael

Last year I took up the challenge to read through my bible in a year. I used an online website which was an excellent way to keep me on track.
http://www.youversion.com


As I was reading through the book of Judges I began reading about the prophetess Deborah and another lady by the name of Jael. I had heard and read her story before, but this time I found myself wondering what was she like outside of this particular story. What was she doing the day before Sisera arrived at her tent, and how did the neighbour ladies talk about her afterwards?

Judges chapter 4 and 5 tell the biblical story of Deborah and Jael. This is somewhat a brief overview of their story. Deborah was a prophetess and gave instructions to Barak to gather 10,000 men and go to battle against Sisera. Barak told Deborah he would only go if she went with him. Deborah said she would go with him, but the honour would no longer go to him but to a woman. So Deborah gave the word to Barak to go and fight Sisera because the Lord had given Sisera to him. All but Sisera were killed on the battlefield, but Sisera fled to the tent of Jael. [Ok, this is where I find the story gets interesting. How is a woman to feel, going about her daily chores and minding her business in her tent, when along comes a commander of the enemy army and he wants to hide in your tent?! Jael seems to be such a composed lady in the midst of the battle around her.] Verse 18 says, "Jael went out to meet Sisera and said to him, 'Come, my lord, come right in. Don't be afraid.' So he entered her tent, and she put a covering over him." While Sisera was comfortably sleeping under a blanket, Jael picked up a tent peg and hammer and she drove the tent peg through his temple and he died.

Well I don't know about you, but that just doesn't seem like an everyday occurrence in most people's lives. What lady do you know, in the midst of laundry, dishes and raising the children, hides the enemy commander in her home and then kills him?! Then in Judges 5:24ff we read about the song Deborah and Barak sang and specifically the blessing on Jael. Wow!

We do not know much of this lady and what we do know is only this part of her story. She's not mentioned again. However, the part Jael had to play in conquering Israel's enemy is forever written in history. Here's what I've learned about Jael. She was fearless, stealthy, resourceful [who would have thought of using a tent peg for a weapon?!], showed great strength and she had an amazing straight-face. Don't be messing with this lady!

Ladies I don't know about you, but I really want to be ready to be used by God in the midst of my everyday life. I don't have a hammer and tent peg sitting on my kitchen counter, and I'd prefer to keep life a little less messy than Jael, but I do want to be used by the Lord. Are you ready?

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment