Friday, June 22, 2012

HEART TO HEART


This past April, my daughter graduated from Providence University College with a Degree in Sociology. The day after graduation she moved to Calgary to work.

How could she do this to me!?!

I was hoping to enjoy having her home for awhile and spend some much needed mother-daughter time together.

After the initial shock wore off I decided to make the best of it – we would keep in touch via facebook, texting and phone calls. It wouldn’t be so bad after all.

A month after she left I started to convert her room into my scrapbooking haven (or heaven). As I started to pack her possessions into boxes, the memories of her childhood came flooding back into my heart and mind. Everything I touched of hers had meaning and significance of days gone by. The memories were too much and I started to weep. I called my daughter and we wept together. Needless to say, I didn’t get her room packed that day. In the midst of all the packing, memories and tears, the Holy Spirit started speaking to my sorrowful heart. He reminded me that my love for my daughter was a reflection of God’s love for me.

So, I started to work on this thought in my troubled mind. Can God, the Father, know a mother’s heart? I remembered a story from the Bible, which was taught to me as a child, about a hen and her chicks and how God protects us like a mother hen.

In Matthew 23:37b Jesus says, “...How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wing.....”(NLT)

God longs to protect His children, and I am His child.

In Isaiah 66:13 God says, “I will comfort you there in Jerusalem as a mother comforts her child” (NLT)

In this verse, God Himself is a comforting “mother”.

These verses reassured me that God does understand a mother’s heart towards her children. This in turn helps me better understand God’s love for me. I long to know God’s love fully and He has given me a wonderful example which my mother heart can understand. Until I meet Him face to face and fully understand God’s heart, I will continue to enjoy growing in our Heart to Heart journey together.

Kristina
Kristina's husband is a pastor, they have 3 adult children and she is very involved in their church.

No comments:

Post a Comment