Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Shopping Carts


Grocery shopping with small children was not an event that I gave much consideration before I actually had to perform this task. After much trial and error, it did seem that preparation was the key. I needed a plan but even more than that, the little boy making the trip with me needed to know that I had a plan. It wasn’t that I went over the grocery list item by item with my preschooler. It was more a setting of boundaries. An explanation of expectations…and yes, a promise of reward.

And then, the grocery store added a new feature that threatened the success of my carefully planned expeditions. Child sized grocery carts! Oh, they were the cutest thing…but they held such potential for grocery shopping disaster! (Not to mention the potential of injury to my ankles!) I no longer had the control of either placing my child in the seat of my cart or “encouraging” him to ride on the front of the cart.

The aisles were not wide enough to walk side by side. Allowing the boy to go ahead of me was not a safe option…clean up in aisle three!! That left only one possibility. If the little one was going to be allowed to use the little cart, he would need to follow me.

If this increased level of freedom was going to work, there would be guidelines. Listening would be involved! Listening and following. That was the plan…the plan wasn’t always followed. I know – surprising, right?!

Fruit loops, Oreos, juice boxes…what if they weren’t on mom’s list this time?!! Sometimes there was a genuine effort to help. Sometimes there was simply a desire to run… to find his own way…

When there was a straying from the plan, consequences followed. Consequences and the reminder – you need to listen…you need to follow…

Jesus said, "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.” (John 10:27, 28)

We too have the option of listening and following or of turning down our own path when our plan seems better. Either choice has its consequences.

Do you ever struggle with believing that the One who leads you has a plan? Maybe that isn’t something that you would say out loud because of course we know God has a plan…and yet the challenge is to listen…to follow …to acknowledge…

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Prov. 3:5, 6)

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment