Monday, June 25, 2012

The Price Tag of Value


How does one put a price on something? Or perhaps a better question is who or what determines the value or an item (car, painting, gem stone, etc)?

Perhaps my deeper question is what gives someone the right to decide if something is valuable? I own items which only hold value to me - family pictures, notes from my kids, a special gift from someone. How can someone else make the decision if that tea cup really is worth a certain dollar figure?

And what ever happened to the value of human life? I've heard reports during the sinking of the Titanic that women and children were instructed to get into the life boats ahead of the men. As a woman I'm not complaining, but I just wonder... who makes that decision? Were individuals sayings the lives of the women and children are more valuable than the men? I hope not.

I know people have all kinds of reasons for their opinions, and in this part of the world we have freedom of thought and expression. However, I am baffled as to what happened to cause us to go to the place that life is no longer valuable? Or perhaps more accurately someone else decides what, or who, has value. Now we could walk down the road of euthanasia, abortion and even human trafficking, but my greater question lies in the place of why does someone not see life as valuable? I don't see someone's value because of what I get, but because they have life and therefore they have value.

We have travelled down a dangerous road when we think we have the right to step into the role of God and make a decision regarding someone else's value.

Hebrew 9:28 says, "So also Christ died once for all time as a sacrifice to take away the sins of many people. He will come again, not to deal with our sins, but to bring salvation to all who are eagerly waiting for him."

You see Jesus took our place on the cross, took our sins upon himself, became the sacrifice for us so we could have access to our Holy God. Our lives are valuable not because of what we do or don't do, but because God created us and THAT'S where we need to find our value.

"You are precious and honoured in my sight . . . I love you." Is 43:4

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment