Monday, April 25, 2011

God's word

Mt. 28:18-20 says, “Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Many of us have spent the last number of days recounting and considering Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem, the last supper, the crucifixion and the resurrection.

What a week it has been!

When I read those last few verses in Matthew 28 I am personally challenged with the words of Jesus.  Then I read the sentence; “Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you.”

“Teach these new disciples…”

Challenging words for me.  How am I doing with teaching new disciples?  Do I even know any new disciples?

I am challenged to get to know and obey God’s word.  But I can't forget it also says we are to teach God’s word to others so they too can obey His word.  There is freedom from sin and evil in our world when we obey the Lord.

As I spend time reading the Old Testament, I read what happened when the Israelites obeyed God.  He took them to the Promised Land and gave them victory over those living in the region, but when they refused to obey Him they were left suffering for their disobedience.

It makes me consider would I rather deal with the consequences of my disobedience or would I rather live in the freedom and promises of obeying God?

Our Bibles tell us over and over again God expects us to obey Him.  Let’s put into practice what the Bible says and intentionally make new disciples and obey God’s word. 

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment