Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Mountains of Responsibility

I can just imagine the stress I would feel if Jesus and His 12 best friends were to actually come to our house for dinner.  Especially some days...  of course I would want them to come - but where would my heart and mind really be?  I have to confess it would probably be on getting every"thing" ready...  that is, after I picked myself up from the ground at the opportunity.  Yes, the Martha clause serves as an ongoing reminder for me, not to worry and fret.

Martha, Martha you are worried and troubled about many things.  But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.                                         Luke 10:41-42

No doubt you, like me, have mountains of responsibilities.  Personally, I don't think that's all bad.  I like to make the most of life!  But, there are times when the burden of responsibility can affect my sensitivity and it causes me to mishandle situations.

Martha became obsessed, really all consumed with the task at hand.  She even indulged in an all out pity-party, becoming bossy - telling Jesus to urge Mary to help her.

Thankfully, like you and me, He guided her to change her focus.  He called her by name twice - WOW, he really wanted her complete attention!  Further, He showed He understood by acknowledging what was troubling her.  Then He patiently redirects her to choose the "good part" - peace, wisdom, refreshing - that which cannot be taken away. 

What if we were to choose Jesus instead of anxiety?  What if we were to allow Him to calm our mind and heart?  We can!  Simply by focusing on God.  Responsibilities will always to be part of our days; and doing those things well is essential in our Christian walk.  However, it is our relationship with our Saviour that will sustain us through everything - right to eternity.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said, "Your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you".

That's how I want to live my days - with God firmly at the centre, one day at a time, remembering that there is no need to worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things.  Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:34

Join me?  Let Jesus calm your anxious heart.

Press in and press on!
Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment