Monday, April 4, 2011

Not just thinking but doing

I've been wrestling with a question for awhile now and since the recent disasters in Japan I've personally wrestled with it even more. What does it take to move me from thinking about it to doing it – whatever “it” is? Whether it's giving towards the disasters in Japan, the Salvation Army Christmas Kettles in the malls, supporting missionaries or any other worthy cause; what does it take to move me from thinking about it to acting on it? My question isn't so much about how much to give but whether I actually give at all? Sitting in front of my TV or computer screen seeing and hearing about the worthy cause isn't the same as putting my money where my mouth is. Thinking about it isn't the action needed to change the outcome. The action comes from getting up and doing. My money, however much or little, will only help someone else if I make a conscienious and intentional decision to give it away. The following verse personally challenges me on how much that should be.

2 Cor. 9:6-8
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.”

I absolutely believe we need to investigate the legitimacy of those asking for money, but I also believe we need to step up to the plate and be people of action. I pray we would move beyond just thinking and being stirred by what we see and hear, but we would become generous people of action. I pray we would not just think about it but do it.

(If you're looking for a place to give this is a legitimate organization helping people around the world. ERDO – emergency relief and development overseas http://paoc.org/missions/emergency-relief)

No comments:

Post a Comment