Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Baby Jesus

As I've been listening to Christmas music, and more specifically the words to some of the Christmas songs, I wonder what the answers are to, "Mary, did you know?" How could she? But I still wonder...

Mary, did you know that your baby boy would one day walk on water?

Mary, did you know that your baby boy would give sight to a blind man?

And Mary, when did you realize that when you kissed your little baby you kissed the face of God?

Did she stand at the foot of the cross with gut-wrenching sobs remembering and REALLY realizing her son was the Son of God and the Lord of all creation. Honestly, I find it very difficult to comprehend all that the young, teenager experienced when she gave birth to her first-born son. No clean hospitals, no doctors, no nurses, no anaesthesia. I know it was a different time and country with different traditions, but as a woman and mom, I find it hard to wrap my mind around Mary's experiences. I would love to sit across from her and ask her what it was really like, away from friends and family, talking to an angel and trusting Joseph to care for her and her baby. And as life unfolded with her son Jesus, when did she realize who he really was and what that meant to the world... and to her?!

I hope you take some time during this Christmas season and reflect on those directly involved on that first Christmas. Some of the Christmas carols sure clean it up, but in reality mangers aren't filled with clean, sanded wood and sterile hay. I grew up on a farm and spent many hours in a barn, it's not where I'd like my new baby to spend their first few nights. However, perhaps we can take some time to ponder, consider and really think about Mary, Joseph and the newborn baby Jesus, and ask the Lord to help us understand just a little bit more about the night Jesus was born. The words to the song "A Baby Changes Everything" by Faith Hill (words and music by Tim Nicholls, Craig Wiseman and K.K. Wiseman) really does say so much.

And babies do change everything, but more specifically THAT baby, Jesus, changed EVERYTHING the day He was born!

Merry Christmas to you and you family!
Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment