Monday, December 19, 2011

Contentment

You might think blogging about contentment 6 days before Christmas is a little strange, but I've been thinking a lot about what that really means this time of year. Content with what I receive this Christmas (... I know I'm making an assumption here, but I think it's a safe assumption to make ~ lol), but I'm also challenged to be content with what I give as well. Contentment is defined as 'desiring no more than what one has; satisfied'. Hummm... gets one thinking doesn't it?

I've been taking inventory of my heart the past few days and wondering if I have true contentment in my heart. I've been asking myself the question, am I satisfied and really desiring no more than what I already have? I believe true contentment cannot be dependent on what's around me - a big house, a closet full of clothes or lots of friends. True contentment has an eternal component which cannot be replaced with anything this side of heaven.

Can we be content and treasure the time spent with friends and family; creating memories and investing in the lives of those who are important to us? Can we overlook the lack of perfection in our homes (and linen closets!) and spend time outside with the kids tobogganing and playing in the snow? Can we leave the jellied salad for some else to make and fill a hamper for someone less fortunate?

Are you content with what you have, who you are, with what's going on around you, and where you're going to be spending your Christmas? Perhaps our contentment needs to come from a settled heart, not from the circumstances around us. Perhaps contentment, desiring nothing but Jesus, is really what our heart is longing for. If that's the case, then the real meaning of the season is where our focus needs to rest... on Jesus. The baby in the manger who is the king of Kings and lord of Lords.

Are you content this Christmas? Whether your days are filled with hustle and bustle, or the quiet and silence of an empty house, may you spend quality time in the presence of the only One who can settle your heart - your Heavenly Father.

Is. 9:6 says, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Jo-Ann

1 comment: