Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Guest Post by Arlene

I love celebrating the birth of Christ and the hope he brings to the world. I enjoy time spent with loved ones, shared meals with family and friends, and gifts given as a token of gratitude for treasured relationships. It is a very special time of year, but it can also be a challenge to avoid getting caught up in the busy pace of the Christmas season. During this season more than ever, we have to make a conscious choice to be still. We are inundated with so much “noise”, constantly on the move, and surrounded by enough distractions to keep us preoccupied with everything but God… even in the season where Jesus’ birth is the object of our celebration!

I must admit, I always breathe a sigh of relief when life settles back into a bit more quiet after the holidays. I lose perspective when I am out of balance, when I spend too much time being busy, and not enough time being still and at rest. I am reminded that times of celebration are good, but time spent in stillness with God is just as vital to my health as getting enough sleep, getting proper nutrition and exercise. It is in the quiet when I best hear God’s voice, when I gain perspective on the things I am struggling with, when I am most able to be grateful and reflective. It is in quiet meditation and prayer that God fills me with the peace and energy to meet the demands of my daily life! It is absolutely essential.

I’m encouraged and challenged by Scripture that emphasizes our need for stillness and quiet:

Psalm 46:10 – “Be still and know that I am God…”

Isaiah 30:15 – “In quietness and confidence shall be your strength…”

Matthew 11:28 – “Come unto me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest.”

Psalm 4:4 – “Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still.”

Psalm 37:7 – “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him.”

Luke 5:16 – “[Jesus] would withdraw to quiet places and pray.”

Stillness is a spiritual discipline! When I am still before God, I am giving God my undivided attention. And when I am open to him, and walking in tune with his voice, he gives the gift of peace and rest in that quiet place. This is our promise.

He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. –Psalm 23:2 (NLT)

Arlene is a married woman who works as a counsellor with individuals and families.  She believes in investing in families on a local and global level, and she does that through volunteer work with the North End Family Centre in Winnipeg and Watoto's Living Hope program in Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment