Monday, May 16, 2011

Dirt Therapy


I am one of those people who grew up on a farm and now lives in the city. Having grown up on the farm with gravel roads, prairie grass, the barn out the kitchen window and a field out the living room window there is something about tapping into the familiarity of my childhood roots. I love the peace, quiet, and smells of rural life. I realize if someone is born and raised in the city they may think the birds are loud, the tractors are unfamiliar and the smell of the barn is anything but inviting, however if you are like me the smells and sounds of farm life are quieting and settling. I expect each of us have those things in life which remind us of peaceful, happy, care-free days of when we were younger. For me time in the garden does that. A couple of weeks ago I pulled a weed and the moment I smelled the dirt I inwardly felt myself sigh... peace. I'm looking forward to spending time in the garden, taking a deep breath and setting aside the things which are cluttering my mind.

Ps. 45:10 says, “Be still and know that I am God.”

Whether it's time in the garden, swimming laps in the pool, going for a bike ride, crotcheting a baby afghan, kneading bread...whatever that is I would like to suggest each of us intentionally set aside time to still the busyness in our heads and ponder God.

The God of the universe
     the God who doesn't change
          the God who is the beginning and the end.

I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.” Rev. 1:8

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.” Heb. 13:8

Yes, that's my God! The one who cares about the big details in life and the little things which occupy my mine.

And one more thing... if you're finding yourself concerned about the possibility of the world ending on May 21 let me remind you of this verse from Matthew 24:36 "But the exact day and hour? No one knows that, not even heaven's angels, not even the Son. Only the Father knows.”

Whenever that day is – God knows, and He is a trustworthy God. So let's commit ourselves and our days into His hands and enjoy some time in the garden.

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment