Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ask. Receive. Move.

As this Father's Day approaches, I can't seem to get out of my head a very special purple winter coat from my past.  I was about 13 or 14 and my mom had told me it was time for a new coat and we were heading out shopping.  I determined in my mind that this was the trip when I would really get just what I wanted - not just any coat.  Something fashionable, that I knew I would love to wear each day.  We looked through rack after rack and store after store until we stumbled upon it.  The one that I ~had~ to have.  It was a beautiful, rich gem shade of purple, with lovely silk lining and styled just right - the only problem was it was way out of our family's price range - but I wouldn't give in.  No other coat would do and so we left; me distraught over not getting what I wanted and my mom perplexed that what I wanted seemed impossible and disappointed that I was so stubborn.  When we got home, she started to explain to dad what had happened.  I remember him looking at me, watching my reaction, listening to my mom - no doubt trying to figure out just what to do.  That day I won (honestly the only real "battle" I can recall over such a silly thing).  Dad agreed to get me the coat and I have to tell you I wore it for decades (probably long past fashionable) but to me that coat represented his support for me, how he loved me enough to be inconvenienced for a while, and that the joy it gave me mattered more to him than anything.  He wanted  to give me just what I wanted.  I never took that for granted.

I share this story to ask you: Do you know God as a loving Father?  The kind that is "for" you in all circumstances, that believes the best in you?  How precious that He is always close by, willing to provide direction and to be our Source of strength and encouragement.  Conversely, do you see Him as the earthly father you may have had that is impossible to please, condemning and uncaring?

Be careful what you believe.  Our heavenly Father wants a relationship with us that allows us to call on Him anytime - there's no detail too small - there's no need to go through anyone else or wait. Each of us is His favorite and we can get His attention anytime.

Even when we make mistakes, He may not like the path we choose - but He is our closest ally.  When others judge us, He sees us with a father's loving mercy and extends His grace.  When we do wrong, all we need to do is *ask* forgiveness, *receive* His mercy and *move* forward with our lives.  No matter what we have done, we are His.  He wants to pour truth into our lives and mold us and shape us in His image.  What an amazing gift!

As Father's Day approaches, paint a picture in your mind of the real, loving, saving, powerful God who desires you to run to Him so you can live:  free, strong, confident and secure with blessed assurance that you are His.

Luke 15:18 says "I will arise and go to my Father."

Press in and press on.
Giselle
P.S. To my Daddy: Happy Father's Day.  Thank you for all you have taught me. 
To my Heavenly Father: Thank you for the cross.

The Father's Song

No comments:

Post a Comment