Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Count your blessings

Oh LORD, my God, you have performed many wonders for us. 
Your plans for us are too numerous to list.
You have no equal.
If I tried to recite all your wonderful deeds,
I would never come to the end of them.                    Psalm 40:5

So many times in my life I have had the privilege of standing in awe of what God is doing.  Sometimes it is in happening in other's lives (watching them grow, have personal victory, unexpected blessings, situations turn around etc.) and sometimes in my own.  It seems that lately I am all the more aware of His work and my heart swells with thanksgiving, worship and praise! 

Mountain moments are quite wonderful aren't they?  They are gifts to savour and enjoy.  The reality is, that to comprehend the vastness of mountains, you need to be aware that valleys exist.  But our altitude need not determine our attitude.  Balance comes from a disciplined countenance.  His Word promises us joy in the morning.  You'll find it in Luke 6 after Jesus comes down from time set apart to pray on the mountain.  People came from everywhere to touch Him for healing of all sorts.  Then he spoke these words (excerpt from the Message Bible):

   You're blessed when you've lost it all.
   God's kingdom is there for the finding.
   You're blessed when you're ravenously hungry.
   Then you're ready for the Messianic meal.

   You're blessed when the tears flow freely.
   Joy comes with the morning.


Do you see what I see?  We ARE blessed amidst loss, hunger, tears...whatever the cause.  There is release, hope and blessing RIGHT where you are.  The joy comes next.  So, if you are not "feeling" it yet, despair not.  The blessing is there.  Are you looking for it?  Seek and you shall find.

I have found it helpful over the years to journal or at least think and be in prayerful thanksgiving for at least three things every day.  This has helped me change my feelings of despair more than once.  I want to encourage you to keep a running list of blessings and answered prayer.  For a young mom, it might be a night of undisturbed sleep or for a business woman it may be a favoured parking spot ready and waiting that day.  No matter how big or small, it will be a collection of God's faithfulness and reminder that your Heavenly Father cares about you!  Remember the song you learned as a child..."Count your blessings, name them one by one.  Count your blessings see what God has done..."

Press in and press on!
Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment