Monday, June 13, 2011

Disciple Making

I was at national meetings last week and one of our speakers, Dave Buehring, told us this story.

There was a teacher who, on the first day of class, told his students what his requirements for the course were. All they needed to do was attend all of the classes, do all of the required reading and there would be no other assignments other than one final exam. The students thought this sounded pretty good and settled into the class. The teacher said, “One more thing. You need to tell one person all you have learned.” The course progressed and it came time for the final exam. The teacher told the students they would not be taking the final exam, but the one whom they had been influencing would take the final exam for them and that it how they would receive their final mark.

True disciples of Jesus don't just put into practice what they have learned, but they teach the characteristics of Jesus to others and expect them to reproduce what they've learned as well. This thought has rattled around in my head and my heart since I heard it last week.  I am challenged about what am I passing along to those around me. Am I passing along biblical truths and God's character to others, or am I waiting for someone else to do that?

Matt. 28:18-20 says, “Jesus came and told his disciples, 'I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.'”

"What is disciple making? It's reproducing the character, ways and mission of Jesus in those God brings around us expecting them to multiply the same in others.” Dave Buehring

Let me challenge you to intentionally teach, demonstrate and replicate to someone(s) how to be a true disciple and followers of Jesus, then have them intentionally do the same.

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment