Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Betrayal and Comfort


A number of years ago I felt betrayed by a very good friend. I truly don't think that was her intent, but there were a number of situations and circumstance going on and I certainly didn't know all of the details swirling around her. However, I still felt the sting of rejection and betrayal by someone who was very near and dear to my heart. I can remember feeling a connection with Jesus during that time since he was also betrayed by someone close to him - his disciple Judas. There was a popular song by Petra called "Judas' Kiss" (now I'm really beginning to date myself). As I listened to the words over and over again I felt both the comfort in knowing someone else had been through a similar and difficult circumstance, as well as the disappointment of someone so close missing me and my heart.

2 Cor. 1:3-4 says, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God."

If you've walked a journey through some challenging and difficult situations can I encourage you to share your compassion, wisdom and care with others who need it? And if you are struggling through a season for difficulty can I encourage you to begin to let others come alongside you and be part of the journey of perspective, encouragement and comfort?

The scripture clearly states that we can comfort others with the same comfort we received from God. I believe God wants us to step towards others and offer His comfort to them. Gal. 6:2 says, "Help carry one another's burdens, and in this way you will obey the law of Christ."

Let's find opportunities this week to come alongside someone(s) so we can offer encouragement and comfort to those around us. We will never experience exactly what they've experienced, but because of what we've experienced we can offer hope and comfort.

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment