Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Turning Around is an Option


When hubby and I do a road trip we are not alone in the vehicle. Before you become impressed with how spiritual that sounds, I need to say that the other “person” on the road with us is Susan – the GPS lady.

We do not share the same level of admiration for Susan. Quite frankly, she irritates me. I think that is because I find her unending patience and calmness, while giving instructions that we may or may not be following correctly, to be a huge irritant. It is so clearly not how I act as navigator.

Susan has never once said “What part of LEFT turn did you not understand?”

When that turn is missed, she calmly recalculates a route, and completely without condemnation suggests that we “turn around as soon as possible.”

Several years ago, before Susan, we were visiting Memphis, TN. Due in large part to my navigating talents, we explored many parts of the city that we had not set out to discover. Getting to our destination occasionally took longer than anticipated and once or twice took us to areas probably best for us not to be exploring.

So, while Susan and I still have issues, she does help us stay on track. There have been incidents however, when whomever was behind the wheel made the decision that perhaps Susan didn’t know best and that we could find our own way. Sometimes though that sort of works, it does at the very least, add stress to the situation. At worst, we again end up in an area that we did not intend to be and an area that may not be best for us. Even though we have dismissed her guidance, Susan gently suggests that we “turn around as soon as possible.”

Exodus 15:13 says “In your unfailing love you will lead the people you have redeemed. In your strength you will guide them to your holy dwelling.”

Our Father wants to lead. He does have a path for us to follow. For me that requires a daily choice – sometimes a moment by moment choice – am I going to follow or will I try to find my own way? Will I take the next step, trusting that even though I do not see the entire route laid out before me, it is there, lovingly planned for me?

Sometimes by carelessness and sometimes by conscious choice, I miss directions or don’t take the directions that I should have taken. For those times, when I need to “turn around as soon as possible” there is mercy and forgiveness.

Do you ever struggle to stay on the path that God has laid out for you? Do you ever find yourself in a place that you did not anticipate or a place that you know is not the best place for you to be? Do you ever need to “turn around as soon as possible?” There is mercy and grace for that – not condemnation.

Always remember that He leads with “unfailing love.”

Ruth

1 comment:

  1. Very wise words from a very wise woman!
    "Do you ever struggle to stay on the path that God has laid out for you?".....that would be a resounding YES! Thanks for reminding me of his unfailing love this morning.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete