Monday, February 27, 2012

Personal Invitations


I have a theory. For a number of years I have been putting it to the test and recently I put it to the test; once again it proved right. It's something I've observed over the years - the longing of people's hearts.

My theory is this; if someone is genuinely and personally asked to come with you to something they are way more apt to say yes than if they just read about it in an announcement or see a poster. I believe people long for personal contact, a personal invitation, a personal connection with a space and place next to someone else.

I am all about announcements and making sure people have the information they need to make an informed decision, but the reality is announcements are about information. If we want people to feel a personal connection, to have buy-in, to get involved, or to participate in a certain function or event; then the odds of them saying yes is significantly higher if I speak to them personally. When I ask if they'd like to come with me, meet me at the door or if I can save them a spot, my experience has shown me they are way more apt to say yes, than not. I can't speak for the men out there, but as women we like to have company, we want to feel like we belong and we long for the connection we get when we are around others.

I also believe the REV test is true and accurate. Most women long be part of something which has the following three elements: R - relational, E - emotional,   V - verbal. They want to connect with someone for the relational component, they want to feel an emotional connection (at least on some level) and they want to be able to share their experience with others verbally. I call it the REV test. Consider the last ladies function you were at (baby shower, ladies retreat, coffee with the neighbours...). Did it have all three of these components? How did you feel when you got home? Chances are good it did have these three components and on some level you felt a connection and enjoyed yourself. Interesting isn't it?

Let me encourage each of you to make personal contact with someone(s) before your next function or event and see how many take you up on your offer. What if everyone asked someone? Then everyone would have the opportunity to feel like they belonged and were part of God's bigger plan. You see we really are better together!

Phil 2:5 says, "In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus"

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment