Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Don’t Get Stuck


Oh the things you can see on the internet! I recently watched a video of a grown man who, because he was “triple-dog dared”, put his tongue on a metal pole. It was winter. In northern Minnesota. Guess how that ended?! As a life-long prairie resident I watched and cringed… and was a little fascinated!

I have walked past metal poles or chain link fences on a cold winter day and had the thought pop into my head that maybe I could touch it quickly enough…maybe just once…I haven’t actually done it, but since I have lived all of my life in Manitoba you would think that thought would know better than to waste it’s time in my head.

Why do I even consider trying the things that I know will end badly? Why do I do the things that will damage relationships, hurt other people or dishonour my Father?

The writer of Hebrews talks about “sin that so easily entangles”. Given in the context of running a race, I can just picture myself tripping over my own feet and falling flat on my face. No chance of finishing the race never mind winning the race.

Thankfully the writer does not leave us in that place of despair. Instead we are encouraged. Encouraged to "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us" (Heb. 12:1).

Get up. Keep going.

But then even more important words: “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith…” (Heb. 12:2)

Keep our eyes on Jesus and not on our failures, because He is the one who perfects…it is His work in us…He started it and He will finish it as we keep our eyes on Him.

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment