Monday, March 21, 2011

The picture of a carving

Many years ago, in the place where I was working, someone left a little laminated card, a tract, with a picture of a carving of a hand and a child nestled into the hand. The following verse was written beside the picture, “See! I will not forget you... I have carved you on the palm of my hand.” I never thought leaving a tract was the best way to witness to someone, it just never seemed personal enough, however when I walked into the room that day and saw this card and verse; it spoke volumes to me. Then, and even to this day, and I felt like it was left on top of the furniture specifically for me. I committed my life to the Lord years before I found this card, but the words and message were very personal to me. It was a reminder of how the Lord was caring for me. He had safely carved me into the palm of His hand. It took a long time to fully grasp what that meant and at times, even today, I still need to be reminded of the message.

Sometimes things happen in life and it's difficult to answer the question 'why', but this said to me I was significant and valued and important. For many years I couldn't answer the question 'why', but I was comforted by the picture of my Heavenly Father cradling me in the palm of His right hand.

To this day I still have that tract stuck in the corner of the mirror in our bedroom. It reminds me that even when I didn't have any answers I wasn't unnoticed by the One who created me. Over the years I have learned that I am treasured and valued and I matter to my Heavenly Father.

Oftentimes we never know the impact we will have on another person... even 27+ years later. A smile, a kind, encouraging word, a message in someone's inbox, and note in the mail, an understanding nod. Sometimes we never know the impact a tract left on the dresser of a motel room will have on a young persons perspective and outlook on life. This is my prayer; Lord, use me today to lighten someone's step and everyday help me to be sensitive to your leading.

Isaiah 49:15b-16a (Amplified Bible)
Yes, they may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have indelibly imprinted (tattooed a picture of) you on the palm of each of My hands.”

Jo-Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment