Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rest for the weary.

My Mom spoils me with love and attention...still.  Even at my worst - sick.  Even from afar...hours away.  I love that about her!

Like many around me, and maybe you too, I fell sick this past weekend and was reminded just how much I rely upon my high energy bank and wellness.  With all this new-found time on my hands, I pondered rest and indulged in plenty of it too ;-)  My head ached, I was sneezing, coughing, craving relief.   Now, don't get me wrong, I know there are plenty of people (some I am very specifically praying for) suffering from far worse afflictions than the common cold, but I'm just being real - being any kind of sick is no fun!  Back to talking with my Mom...she shared with me that when I was little I would tell her how much I loved being sick, because of the extra attention she gave me.  Frankly, that made me laugh - now, I would just as soon be left alone for a day or two to recoup and pick up where I left off before proceeding full steam ahead!

That made me think about our relationship with God.  Do we push away or draw near when we're depleated?

 "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."
Matthew 11:28-30 (Msg)

I enjoyed the quiet my family provided for me to rest and recoup.  My husband spoils me too!  Being sick gave me time to reflect on resting versus being still.  I had a very busy few weeks prior to wearing down and falling ill - perhaps if I had taken more time to really be still - maybe I would have been healthy?  No matter, we wrestled it all down, God and I; and it was a time of real refreshing.  I was thankful for the stolen moments to rest and pray and reflect. Now, I'm back to making sure I take even more time to be still, when I am at my busiest.  Know what?  I can accomplish even more with less!  More of You Lord, less of me.  What a wonderful God we serve!

Living lighter,
Giselle

No comments:

Post a Comment